Before you complain to AFCA, we encourage you to do the following:
- Complain directly to your financial firm first, using their internal dispute resolution process. Many complaints can be resolved quickly once you make contact with your financial firm (for example, your bank, insurer, financial planner, mortgage broker, superannuation fund).
Find your financial firm.
- Identify the issue you want to complain to us about.
- Work out if you want to authorise someone else to complain on your behalf.
- Think about what type of loss you have experienced, and what sort of outcome you want to achieve.
- Collect any relevant documents that will help support your complaint.
- If you’re experiencing financial difficulty, prepare a Statement of Financial Position.
- Find out where you can go for help if your complaint doesn’t fall within our Rules.
- Read through the process we follow, including AFCA's timelines, and make sure you understand the process for your complaint.
Ready to complain to AFCA?
Start the online complaint form
If you need more information or support, you can talk to one of our staff using Live Chat between 9am–5pm AEST Monday to Friday.
You can also download a copy of the complaint form [PDF]