What we do
- Helps individuals and small businesses to resolve complaints about financial products and services.
- Fair, free and independent service.
- Not a government agency or regulator, or a consumer advocacy group.
- AFCA is an independent ombudsman service.
What is an ombudsman?
An independent person who investigates and resolves complaints between parties.
An ombudsman is fair and impartial when considering complaints and does not represent or advocate for a side.
How we help?
- Free alternative to expensive court action
- Easy to use – no industry or legal knowledge required
- Focused on a timely and fair outcome – the majority of complaints resolve at our first stage
- AFCA’s final determinations are binding on the financial firm
- Helps resolve customer complaints when their internal process can’t
- An independent organisation to consider external complaints in an impartial way
- AFCA provides industry data about common complaints, to help firms avoid future complaints
- AFCA staff have experience in complex financial issues and dispute resolution
- AFCA contacts dedicated teams inside the financial firm
- Our process is simple - most complainants won’t need your ongoing support
- Authorisation for those who work on behalf of a complainant