Consumers who have been affected by the recent COVID-19 restrictions and have been unable to travel should follow these steps.
- Contact their travel agent, accommodation, airline or other transport company. They may be offering penalty-free options for customers to amend or cancel their travel arrangements.
- If a consumer booked travel with a credit card, they should also contact their credit card company.
- Contact their insurer to find out what their policy covers, and to make a claim.
- If a consumer runs into problems during the claims process, and the issue can’t be resolved directly with their insurer, they can contact AFCA.
- The best way to submit a complaint to AFCA is through our easy to use online form. If a consumer has any questions or can't access the form, they can call our hotline on 1800 337 444.
For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, visit AFCA’s COVID-19 support hub.
AFCA has also published an approach document outlining how it will apply legal principles, industry codes and good industry practice to complaints about denied requests for travel credit/refunds and other COVID-19- related claims.
The approach document can be found here.