The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) is proud to have been awarded Bronze Tier Status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI). AWEI is a national standard for LGBTQ+ inclusion awarded by Pride in Diversity under ACON.
This achievement acknowledges AFCA’s work and commitment to delivering genuine inclusion and accessibility for all our people. With the support of our LGBTQ+ Ally Network, which is sponsored by AFCA Chief Ombudsman and CEO David Locke, recent work includes:
- Introducing a support network of trained grievance officers
- Introducing gender affirmation leave
- Removing reference to primary and secondary caregivers in parental leave
- Updating policies and procedures with inclusive language and LGBTQ+ resources
- Offering LGBTQ+ awareness training through Pride in Diversity
- Recognising days of significance, such as Transgender Day of Visibility, International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) and Pride Month
Becoming an AWEI Bronze Employer is an important step in AFCA’s Diversity Inclusion and Belonging Strategy and Action Plan, which outlines the actions we will take over the next three years to work towards our vision of being a diverse and inclusive workplace where all people feel they belong.
Find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at AFCA here.
Published: 4 August 2023
Media enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) is a non-government ombudsman service providing free, fair and independent help with financial disputes. It is a one-stop-shop for consumers and small businesses who have a dispute with their financial firm, over things such as banking, credit, insurance, advice, investments or superannuation. Where an agreement cannot be reached between parties, AFCA can issue decisions that are binding on financial firms.